Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Lawns

Notices

Advertisement

Old Tuesday 12th June 2012, 15:29

Garden Lawn patchy

Hi all,

Just after some advice really, my Lawn has gone from not bad to awful in the space of a year, I have tried cutting, Weed and Feed, Overseed and watering.

It just looks horrible and patchy with brown and yellow areas all over?????

Any advice welcomed.

Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0069.JPG (47.4 KB, 7 views)
Old Tuesday 12th June 2012, 16:50
Super Moderator

Welcome to Gardener's Forum from Admin and the Moderators.

Is there any fungus growth which is causing the patches? Or animals using the lawn as a loo? I would try reseeding it and seeing what happens.

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Tuesday 12th June 2012, 17:17

Hi Kits,

No pets using lawn, last year it was a thick green lawn, I mowed it just after winter and then gave it a weed and feed a week later.

It has had plenty of water I just don't understand how it got so bad
Old Tuesday 12th June 2012, 18:47

Hi pjbrandon, several possibilities here.

Fertiliser has been applied unevenly causing poor growth where the dose was too great and better growth where the application rate was at or below the correct rate.

Drought has affected the lawn as most of the 'better' areas are growing alongside the concrete areas. These areas have cooler, moister soil below them that the roots can seek out.

Areas of grass have been 'scalped' when being mown with the mower blades set too low.

Something is buried under the lawn, like an old air raid shelter, offering less depth of soil than the grass needs to grow.

Your grass has been waterlogged at some time and the grass has been damaged by lack of air.

the lawn may be suffering from a fungal disease called 'dry patch' which makes it difficult for the soil to absorb water even after irrigation.

My guess would be the fertiliser.

Dave
Old Tuesday 12th June 2012, 19:57

Hi Dave,

Thanks or the reply, it's given me a lot to think back about.

As the lawn was good before it rules out a few things such as low soil depth and as we have had rain for the last 3 months rules out drought, but could be water logged.

I did weed and feed with B&Q own brand stuff a month ago, so maybe I went crazy in the middle and neglected the edges.

I was thing, rake/scarify, over seed.

Any ideas to sort this would be much appreciated

Cheers
Old Tuesday 12th June 2012, 20:46

Hi, I agree that the best thing for the lawn would be to give it a mow, scarify it (but not too deeply), aerate it with a fork or similar, if possible brush in some top dressing (sieved topsoil mixed equally with sharp sand), evenly apply autumn/winter lawn feed over the whole area and then over-sow the whole area with a grass seed mix that includes perennial rye grass (usually sold as hard wearing grass mix). I would do this in October for the best results. If you can't wait that long you could do it now (not going to make lawn worse) but omit any type of fertiliser. Be prepared to water the area if the weather eventually turns warm and dry.

See these links for other lawn maintenance ideas.

Dave

http://www.rhs.org.uk/search?cx=part...awns&sa=SEARCH
Old Wednesday 13th June 2012, 01:16

Hello !... I had a neighbor use weed & feed, kills the weeds & feeds the lawn, the problem was he thought he had all grass growing and once the weed & feed was laid down half his lawn dried up, the weed & feed worked fine but half his lawn was "really" green weeds that looked like grass so he had patches die off all over his lawn. Good Luck... it should grow back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbrandon View Post
Hi Dave,

Thanks or the reply, it's given me a lot to think back about.

As the lawn was good before it rules out a few things such as low soil depth and as we have had rain for the last 3 months rules out drought, but could be water logged.

I did weed and feed with B&Q own brand stuff a month ago, so maybe I went crazy in the middle and neglected the edges.

I was thing, rake/scarify, over seed.

Any ideas to sort this would be much appreciated

Cheers
Old Wednesday 23rd December 2015, 07:36

Patches in lawns can appear for a number of reasons, and when they do, it is always advisable to repair them. Re-seeding, or turfing bare patches will prevent weeds germinating in the patches, and of course, it looks much better.