Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Lawns

Notices

Advertisement

Old Thursday 27th May 2010, 09:44

looking for help with the grass

hi guys im new hope all is well

ive got a problem with my grass it doesnt see alot of sun maybe a few hours in the morn then after say 11 or 12 the back gets all the sun

we just moved in and looking at the grass and after cutting it a few times we knew it was just a bed of moss and weeds the normal suspects since then i put down an iron base moss killer and took a full wheelie bin of moss out and followed it up with putting down some verdome extra

now a couple a months on the grass is looking a bit sorry for its self its brown dry and very baldy in patches where the moss was heavy infested in also where the bald patches are it looks like a dry river bed ive put down grass seed and giving it a good soaking

where should i go from here ive forked it where the moss was at its worst but it feels really compacted at these bits and water still sits on top of the soil ive been thinking of going to buy a loamy type topsoil for the baldy bits and take it from there

whats your thoughts on this im new to gardening and stuff first house and that
Old Saturday 5th June 2010, 23:48

Hi Scotty10, to be honest I'd leave it alone for the moment and just mow it with the mower set high. It needs a good going over with scarifying, aerating, fertiliser application, top-dressing and overseeding which are all best carried out in autumn. Check out this link for more info.

Dave

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=417