Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > General Gardening

Notices

Advertisement

Old Monday 23rd April 2018, 09:30

Planting a Hydrangea Petiolaris (climber)

I have just bought a Hydrangea Petiolaris (Climber) which is about 18 inches (0.5 m) high.

I read a long article about the Hydrangea Petiolaris and it said about planting -

The shrub's stems should be resting directly on the ground, directly against the support, or both. Now sprinkle soil amid and atop the stems; do this handful by handful, not by the shovel-full, so that soils fills in beneath and, eventually, atop these always-oddly-angling stems without snapping them. Soon, generous portions of the stems will have become steadied against the ground as well as supported by the mounded-up soil you've lovingly added.

Those portions of the stems that, thanks to you, now enjoy full contact with the soil will root into it and, in return, send up self-clinging side shoots all the more quickly. And because those shoots are arising from stems that have been held firmly in place by that same soil, they'll be able to attach all the more readily to the supporting structure—and, again, grow all the more quickly.
I have not seen anyone else suggest that this is the best way to plant a Hydrangea Petiolaris. Does this sound like a good idea, or should i just plant it vertically as you would normaly.

Also, i would like it to grow up a North facing garage wall and the area chosen has 3 horizontal wooden batons about 0.75 inches thick spaced about 2 foot apart and covered with plastic climbing plant support (50mm mesh size). Would this be ok or should I remove the plastic support but leave the battons.

Sorry about the long question
Old Monday 23rd April 2018, 12:31
Super Moderator

Welcome to Gardener's Forum from Admin and the Moderators, John.

I've not heard of planting the hydrangea in the way you have described. We planted one in the normal manner i.e. vertically. I would leave the mesh as well as the battens.

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Monday 23rd April 2018, 13:21

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits View Post
Welcome to Gardener's Forum from Admin and the Moderators, John.

I've not heard of planting the hydrangea in the way you have described. We planted one in the normal manner i.e. vertically. I would leave the mesh as well as the battens.
Thanks for that, i will go with your advice
Old Monday 23rd April 2018, 13:23

Hi, plant vertically in the normal way so that the plant is about 30-45cm from the wall (this avoids a rain shadow). Your plant is self clinging, producing adventitious roots from the stems that cling to a wall or fence. Battens or wire mesh are not required. They can get quite large.

Good luck

Dave