Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Speciality Gardening > Water Gardens

Notices

Advertisement

Old Monday 3rd March 2008, 19:27

We started out with just a garbage can lid turned upside-down, and a small pump about 5 years ago. The next year I bought a 60 gallon liner. The following year it was a 180 gallon liner. That's what we still have. We have a couple of comet goldfish, and two bullfrogs that seem to make a nice home there. This year, of course, we plan to buy a 380 gallon liner. Oh, my back!

If you use a pre-molded liner like we do, really pay attention to the instructions. The trick is to dig the hole a little deeper and wider than the pond, and slowly start to fill in the gaps along the edge with sand or dirt. The biggest mistake is to not use a level and a long two by four piece of lumber to make sure all sides are even. It has to be perfectly level or the whole effect of the pond is ruined. I found out the hard way. I had to dig mine out several times before it looked right.

We're all just food for worms.
Old Monday 3rd March 2008, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits View Post
Currently we have two ponds which are linked by a manmade stream. When the pump is working, the top pond feeds a waterfall into the stream which, in turn, has a waterfall into the bottom pond. The bottom pond is brick built and cement lined; the top pond has a liner which OH pierced in the autumn. I have drawn up plans to have the top pond dug out and rebuilt of brick with a cement lining.

Does anyone have any advice about ponds and their liners?
What size pond are you talking about? And how did the damage occur (eg garden tool?)

Most I've ever heard about brick ponds is that they are a lot of work (or expense). But then I guess any pond is. One thing you have to be careful with them is stuff leaching out of the cement and killing fish etc. I think you have to paint it to waterproof it and seal it in. Also, a good job has to be done - if the cement cracks if it subsides or is too thin you could get leaks.

If you're interested in wildlife, incorporating gently sloping shallow sides is a big plus - allows more levels, hence more variety of wildlife. Flexible liners (or on small scale glassfibre) allow this more readily.

Glassfibre gets very pricey as the pond gets bigger, and can be awkward to get the levels right and needs a precision hole (as per previous poster)

Cheap plastic - not recomended, degrade in the sun too readily and won't last

Expensive PVC - can be good, 20? year guarantee. Photostable.

Rubber - various types and brands, most recomended. Life time guarantee. Will stretch over stones etc but can be pierced.

There is a new type on the market I believe which is a hybrid material, a lot tougher and resists piercing well. Don't know what it's called though, or price!

Bentonite - special kind of clay shipped in from N Dakota! What they use on golf courses, canals etc. Can come as a thin layer sandwiched between 2 thin membranes, but as far as I'm aware not available to the general public to buy in small quantities. Shame as it's big plus is it's self- sealing. If it's pierced eg by a plant root, the clay around the piercing soaks up water, swells and seals the gap.

For underneath liners, old carpet used to get used, as well as or in addition to a layer of sand. Geotextile matting is now available. This could be lain on top of any ordinary liner I guess, and as long as covered in subsoil or gravel, you'd never know. For a wildlife pond anyway, to protect the liner from physical damage and Sunlight UV rays, it's recomended to put a layer of subsoil (not topsoil - it's too nutrient rich and you'll get big algal problems) on top anyway.

That's some basic info on most of the options for now, I'm sure more specific info can be found by googling pond construction or liners.

Good luck, dan
Old Monday 3rd March 2008, 22:23
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
What size pond are you talking about? And how did the damage occur (eg garden tool?)
The pond is about 14 feet long by about 8 feet wide, and yes, OH put the garden fork through the liner when clearing out the pond.

The bottom pond has a slope leading into it so that wildlife can use it easily.

We are not fans of fish in ponds, so don't need to worry on that score.

Thank you for all the help, Dan. Much appreciated.

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Tuesday 4th March 2008, 20:13

Quote:
The pond is about 14 feet long by about 8 feet wide, and yes, OH put the garden fork through the liner when clearing out the pond.

The bottom pond has a slope leading into it so that wildlife can use it easily.

We are not fans of fish in ponds, so don't need to worry on that score.

Thank you for all the help, Dan. Much appreciated.
(It's a given that care should be taken around ponds with tools! But You knew that!!)

I was thinking more of different levels so you can get different plant types and varieties, emergents like eg creeping jenny and irises, sedges etc, which will then help increase the invertebrate diversity. (And nice plants/flowers in themselves)

Not totally sure, but I'd assume cement would also be harmful to the other wildlife like amphibians too!

Just my thoughts . . .
Old Tuesday 4th March 2008, 22:13
Super Moderator

Yes, of course I knew that!

Good point about cement and wildlife. I shall have a chat with the chap that I shall get to build the new pond (not OH! )

I am liking the idea of different levels.

Old Thursday 6th March 2008, 00:20

Quote:
Yes, of course I knew that!

Good point about cement and wildlife. I shall have a chat with the chap that I shall get to build the new pond (not OH! )

I am liking the idea of different levels.
Oh, yeah, you really will like the different levels. Here's an installation with a flexible liner.

http://www.pondsolutions.com/install-pond-liners.htm

We're all just food for worms.
Old Thursday 6th March 2008, 21:42

Hello Kits....You do know that you can get a patch kit for your liner. They are just like big cycle repair kits. This might be the eaysest and cheapest method of repair...
Yesterday i found my first frog spawn of the year in one of my customers ponds..The year rolls on.
Old Thursday 6th March 2008, 22:19
Super Moderator

Hi Ian

Hush! I want a new pond! Don't go mentioning repair kits! Tsk! I don't like the way ours was built by the previous owners, it is tatty and not nice.

But thanks for the suggestion!

Old Friday 7th March 2008, 00:45

Thats all right Kits. Are you going for bigger?

I have a nice one to reline this year. It looks like a bit of graft!!
Old Friday 7th March 2008, 00:48
Super Moderator

Noooo not bigger - just the same size but I want a rectangular one as the current one is sort of ovalish with strange bits to one side. It leads into a man made stream which feeds into a much nicer round pond. I shall have to ring our arborealist as he is a landscape gardener too, and get a quote. If OH agrees, I shall have to take before, during and after pics too. I'll let you know!

PS - Where is NoS ??? I am baffled!