Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Speciality Gardening > Water Gardens

Notices

Advertisement

Old Wednesday 29th April 2009, 14:17
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quercus View Post
Gentley twirl it around a rake... and it should come out.... leave it in a horrid pile next to the pond overnight (in case there's any wee beasties in there), then compost it............... It 'll be just as bad next week... but once the pond settles down it should be less of a problem
Will do! Thanks, Querky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.steeley View Post
OOPS, shouldn't it be under the water then Kits?
You are quite right it should be! However, it keeps coming to the top and I don't know how to make it stay at the bottom! The garden men chopped that chunk off for me, and put it in the bottom of the pond. Once the pond was filled, the blooming thing floated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisl1966 View Post
Or you could get liquid barley straw from your water garden supplier. I find it easier than the barley straw in tights jobbie.

By the way Kits, I have found an excellent supplier of native water plants in our area. They are called The Water Garden www.thewatergarden.co.uk I have found them to be very knowledgable and helpful. We bought a Butomus Umbellatus (Flowering rush) and some Menyanthes trifoliata (Bog bean) from them last week-end.
Excellento! Will try the liquid barley straw and have made a note of the Water Garden for a visit. Thanks, Chris! (PS You and OH will have to come round soon to inspect the garden work! )

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Wednesday 29th April 2009, 14:24

Kits, have you tried potting up your water lillies? Mine (all 5 of them) are in pots. I have divided them only recently and they are doing fine. I got some of the aquatic baskets and also aquatics compost. Potted them up (make sure the thick stem is not buried) and put about 2.5cm of fine gravel on the top to stop the fish digging them up again.

Kits, we would be delighted to 'inspect' all the work that has gone on. Shall we bring red or white?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg waterlillies.jpg (79.8 KB, 6 views)
Old Wednesday 29th April 2009, 16:35
Super Moderator

Ah - potting them up. Good idea! That's another job for when we get back from Paris.

Red please!

Old Wednesday 29th April 2009, 17:55

make sure you use aquatic compost Kits as it doesnt have the nutrients in.
Old Wednesday 29th April 2009, 20:15
Super Moderator

Thanks, Peony. Will do!

Old Saturday 2nd May 2009, 18:42

I have blanketweed as well. Today I bought some little water soluble sachets that are supposed to do the trick to get rid of it. They contain barley straw and natural products, no chemicals. One little tea bag a week apparently keeps it at bay. Hoping it works for me.
Old Sunday 3rd May 2009, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrotherston343 View Post
I have blanketweed as well. Today I bought some little water soluble sachets that are supposed to do the trick to get rid of it. They contain barley straw and natural products, no chemicals. One little tea bag a week apparently keeps it at bay. Hoping it works for me.
Have to have a look for them over here as I am certain to get the algae after I have finished relining my pond.
Got a leak and its all got to come apart to fix it. Will put the fish and frogs in a temp residence. Not looking forward to this chore as my back is protesting at the thought if the work involved. My friendly neighbour has offered to assist.
Old Friday 20th September 2013, 03:42

Alas I have had my feathered visitor again and the pond has been denuded of all the fish and frogs. A blue heron
I know that nature is not pleasant at times but this is the third time I have restocked the pond.
Admittedly they are only feeder fish and meant to feed larger fish but they did end up feeders after all.
Very frustrating!!!!
Old Friday 20th September 2013, 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisl1966 View Post

By the way Kits, I have found an excellent supplier of native water plants in our area.
Well Chris, there is an excellent Garden Center in your area, in fact probably my favorite. Wantage Garden Center. I go there often. They also organise and run the Hampshire Potato Day in Whitchurch whih is January 14th