Gardener's Forums

Gardener's Forums (https://www.gardenersforum.net/index.php)
-   Water Gardens (https://www.gardenersforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Pond ideas, suggestions.... (https://www.gardenersforum.net/showthread.php?t=615)

msmum Saturday 2nd August 2008 15:18

Pond ideas, suggestions....

1 Attachment(s)
My pond.....oh what to do with it! I want some plant coverage IN the pond - so looking to get some lillies and other varieties to create a more natural habitat for the fish. Where the fountain is, I want to build a rock wall or somesuch thing and have the water coming out of it. For surrounding the pond - we had those old pavers around it when it was round, and they were cut to shape for it. But I don't know that I want those, but obviously, you can see I need SOMETHING there....any suggestions, ideas more than welcome!

Oh, the coffee cup in the bird bath....just in case they need a little caffeine :)

annafricangrey Saturday 2nd August 2008 16:16

pond looks a good size, very big and airated by the waterfall

i am goinf to try and get some photos of my pond plants, i do find generally that pond plants are expensive

i have some spare if you are down this way

or will they go in the post?

ann

annafricangrey Saturday 2nd August 2008 16:47

2 Attachment(s)
heres what i have in the pond

msmum Saturday 2nd August 2008 17:19

Thanks Ann :) I much prefer the rougher edges with the various rocks and stones like that. It's just a pain in the whatsit when you're mowing the grass, as even the weedwhacker kicks up the grass blades and they all get into the pond.

We extended ours out on a whim a couple of months ago, and have just not gotten around to finishing it.

Re the plants - any excuse for another visit :) But......hubby has just been helping a friend of ours move this afternoon - and apparently he has a large 'overgrown' pond out back that he is wanting to clear out!!!!!! There is supposedly just loads of waterlillies and other vegetation in there that he wants to get out, so........I may have a whole load of plants for my pond now :) I'll be going to their new place tomorrow and will have to have a look!

annafricangrey Saturday 2nd August 2008 18:03

hey that sounds good

ann

Kits Saturday 2nd August 2008 23:13

Lovely ponds, ladies. =)

annafricangrey Sunday 3rd August 2008 12:59

why thankyou kits!

ms mum, there are three ponds in my pics

the first is a huge (and very old) copper pot which has tall spear shaped leaves with a blue flower, this pot is independent of the rest of the ponds, i have charcoal in the base and it keeps clear all on its own!

the 'top' pond is quite shallow and has LOTs of plants in, varigated grasses, irises, water mint etc, the water is pumped through this pond and travels to the lower pond

where the fish are

water lilies, which shade the pond for the fish, and more irises in here

i have alchemolla mollis which hides this hard edge quite well

hope you are successful with getting some pond plants

ann

annafricangrey Sunday 3rd August 2008 13:03

[quote=msmum;14933]Thanks Ann :) I much prefer the rougher edges with the various rocks and stones like that. It's just a pain in the whatsit when you're mowing the grass, as even the weedwhacker kicks up the grass blades and they all get into the pond.

QUOTE]

i know what you mean

in front of the stone and fossil collection i have set a brick 'mowing edge' you cant see it very well in the photo but its there which means i can zip along the front edge without having to move anything.

this edge continues along to larger stones which form a low raised bed containing chamomile, lovely to sit on and watch the pond!!

ann

msmum Sunday 3rd August 2008 13:07

Hmmmm, I have to admit - I never did get a really good look at your garden - the cooking aroma indoors was too good to leave :) I like the idea of a low raised bed around the pond........I'm wanting to do this while I'm off for the summer......so need to decide on something soon.

annafricangrey Sunday 3rd August 2008 13:19

behind the pond we have a little 'wild' bit of garden

stinging nettles, piles of logs, toad hotel, bark. places for the newts to hide away as well as whoever else want to

this is a STRICT no go area for the children unless an adult accompanies them as a false step could squish something! or they could get stung!!!

lots of wildlife friendly bits and pieces. my planters there are mostly metal which seems to keep the slugs off the plants

we are lucky enough to have stag beetles living there in a huge chunk of white willow

i would say get a framework of what you would like

then the place evolves from there

but you are right the basic structure need in place first

good luck

ann