Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > General Gardening

Notices

Clay problem

Advertisement

Old Monday 28th August 2017, 17:11

Clay problem

Does anyone know how I can drain the water from these clay puddles. How deep would I need to dig for the puddles to drain away?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2797.jpg (98.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2798.jpg (100.5 KB, 3 views)
Old Monday 28th August 2017, 18:58

If you have a clay soil it is to be expected that drainage may be poor and that rain water will take longer to drain away than on less clay/sandy soils. To increase the drainage capacity of the soil you need to know where the water will go. Soil water normally goes down through the soil until it meets an non-permeable barrier such as the bed-rock, a hard compacted layer of sub-soil or a thick seam of clay. At this point the water moves sideways through the soil until it either drains to a ditch/is used up by plants/evaporates to the air. Where water cannot drain it stays where it is and you have a bog or a pond. So to improve drainage you have to allow the water to drain further down into the soil by cultivating the sub-soil and incorporate organic matter, grit and/or sharp sand. The water will still be there but below the level it is now.
If that cannot be done then the water will need to be drained away sideways by installing some sort of drainage system. This can be done digging out a drainage ditch, by installing a french drain or installing perforated plastic drainage pipes. The water must have somewhere to drain to and this could be a soak-away. See link below.

Dave

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=475
Old Thursday 31st August 2017, 21:46

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I think I will attempt at emptying the puddle and digging deeper down to aim for bedrock. Otherwise I'll need to live slabs etc to install proper drainage system.
Old Sunday 3rd September 2017, 22:10

Hi Ross, what is it that you are doing there or did you dig the holes to check on the drainage?

Dave
Old Sunday 10th September 2017, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.steeley View Post
Hi Ross, what is it that you are doing there or did you dig the holes to check on the drainage?

Dave
Hi Dave,

The plan originally was to hide the top area of the garden with 3x three metre sleepers. I dug the holes with the plan to install fence posts to take attach to the sleepers.

We've since had a local landscaper in Brooks and I've decided just to bite the bullet and get it done professionally. He'll deal with clay issues and install drainage amongst giving me the garden the child friend area and relaxed area for us adults.

I'll post before and afters.
Old Monday 11th September 2017, 10:07

Hi Ross, hope it goes well.

Dave
Old Tuesday 12th September 2017, 19:11

Is it common for a landscaper to fill a waterlogged area of mud with a dark sand before digging out a channel for drainage?

I assumed the digging would be done before we get to this stage:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3233.jpg (97.9 KB, 6 views)
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 15:04

Perhaps your landscaper is trying to break up the clay by adding sharp sand to it thus improving its overall drainage ability prior to commencing with the drainage system. Talk to your landscaper and ask what his plan is. He should not mind you asking and you should get a proper answer rather than asking someone who is not involved.

Dave
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 15:25

I have asked and he said he would put drains in but I'm a little untrusting paranoid type and thought he may be papering over the cracks.

I need to relax a little.
Old Wednesday 13th September 2017, 18:34

OK, hope it goes well.

Dave