Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Tools & Equipment

Notices

Irrigation systems

Advertisement

Old Monday 21st September 2009, 16:10

Irrigation systems

Does anyone on here have any experience with irrigation systems? I see that hoselock do a system which seems to be quite straight forward and isn't too expensive.

My front garden is extremely dry. It is on clay and has a large oak tree shading some of it. There is also a eucalyptus nearby (not mine) which doesn't shade the garden but between it and the oak all the moisture is sucked out of the soil. For those reasons I need something which will water a few specimen shrubs I have in the borders which are really suffering at the moment.

Any helpful advice would be gratefully received.
Old Monday 21st September 2009, 20:21
Super Moderator

Yep!

We have a Hoselock system which we have used every year until this year. It is very easy to set up and operate. We had feeders going to the pots and troughs on the terrace, and others going down the garden to the rose bed and herbaceous borders. We used to set it to come on for 15 minutes at 8:00am and 8:00pm every day we were away and the plants thrived.

The only reason we didn't set it up this year was because when we went to Wales, the garden only had to manage for four days between son leaving and our return, and when we went to Malta last week, there were only three days between our departure and daughter's arrival.

I certainly recommend them.

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 14:05

Had a sprinkler system put in four years ago as I was fed up hauling hoses about to keep the garden and lawns growing in the summer time (our soil is very sandy).
Made a big difference.
I don't have to worry about water bills as I have my own well and that has sufficient rate return so its never ran dry.
There is a timer and in the summer time I have it programmed to start at 5.30 am and it goes through the six stations for 30 minutes each. There are four sprinkler heads on each station and when it was installed the guys set it up so only the parts that required watering were covered.
In the fall the company has a compressor and they blow the lines out so it does not get frozen in the winter.
Made a massive difference in how my lawn and garden look.
Old Tuesday 22nd September 2009, 20:30

Thank you both for your replies.

Well, that has made my mind up for definite. Next spring I will get the hoselock system and put it in place.
Old Sunday 27th September 2009, 11:56

I like the idea of a ‘Soaker Hose and Leaky Pipe’ system. These seem to be more economic in that you are able to water well the plants you want to and not waste water on areas that don’t need it.
I’ve got plans to get one of those underground storage butts and bury it at the top end of my garden.
Then with a little bit of extracurricular plumbing, redirect the gutter piping to head the winter rain my way. Fill her up and bob’s your uncle, as they say!