Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Tools & Equipment

Notices

Plant Pots

Advertisement

Old Monday 29th September 2008, 11:06

Smile Plant Pots

hi there

I thought I would open up this thread about plant pots.

Has anyone got some 'interesting ones' to look at. My one is my sea shell. It has no drainage holes so I have never have grown any plants in it yet.

I have found that some of the breakable pots are not frost resistant so I have lost a few sadly.

I have often wondered about the size of the plant pot to go with a plant as it grows bigger? Must be some ground rules attached!

How about the importance of drainage?

Kathy
x
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 013.JPG (67.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 014.JPG (72.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 015.JPG (69.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Peewit; Monday 29th September 2008 at 11:15.
Old Thursday 2nd October 2008, 09:45

I do like a nice plant pot. Mine are mainly Terracotta but I also have a selection of glazed blue pots in various sizes. Its sad I know but with the blue pots i like to plant flowers that will compliment the colour blue, but always with wildlife in mind!!
Old Friday 3rd October 2008, 21:46

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCicely View Post
I do like a nice plant pot. Mine are mainly Terracotta but I also have a selection of glazed blue pots in various sizes. Its sad I know but with the blue pots i like to plant flowers that will compliment the colour blue, but always with wildlife in mind!!
Hi SweetCicely

I know what you mean and the design does matter. Are Terracotta expensive to buy - i have few smaller ones and a big one but they are hand downs from other people.

Again are the Blue Pots quite expensive. I think I know the ones that you mean.

Kathy
x
Old Thursday 9th October 2008, 10:25

I don't think the blue pots are that expensive. I've just bought another one to plant a Salvia in and it cost 7 from one of our more expensive garden centres. But with the credit crunch there are some great bargains out there to snap up.
Old Thursday 9th October 2008, 11:34

Smile

Quote:
I don't think the blue pots are that expensive. I've just bought another one to plant a Salvia in and it cost 7 from one of our more expensive garden centres. But with the credit crunch there are some great bargains out there to snap up.
Hi SweetCicley

I am beginning to think that there will be a few opporunities with the credit crunch going on. I can see the half price sales banners appearing everywhere in all the Garden Centres.

I never understood why the Terricotta pots where so expensive, though they are getting slightly better price wise over the years. Of course there are the look alike plastic pots for the same visual effect.

I lost a few Terricotta pots with the Scottish winters. They just cracked and broke in two with the severe frosts we had. The ones I have now have a crack somewhere or a chip on the pot. Brings character to the pots.

Is there something I could place on my 'Shell' container or not. Something that does not mind having no drainage or should I leave it as a feature?

Does anyone ever use the troughs as planters. I see people use them on their window sills?
Old Thursday 9th October 2008, 17:05

I would leave the shell pot unplanted as its a very attractive feature in the garden. All plants need drainage so it wouldn't be practical to add a plant, it really doesn't need it.
Old Friday 10th October 2008, 19:25

We have a pink tea pot which (because the knob broke off the lid and it was effectively useless) is planted up with sedum. There is no drainage in the pot obviously but the sedum seems quite happy. I will try to get a picture to show you.
Old Friday 10th October 2008, 23:29

Smile

Quote:
I would leave the shell pot unplanted as its a very attractive feature in the garden. All plants need drainage so it wouldn't be practical to add a plant, it really doesn't need it.
Hi Sweetcicely

Thank you: I will keep the shell as it is as it is a fun feature. I was in two minds about planting in it - now it will be left as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honesty View Post
We have a pink tea pot which (because the knob broke off the lid and it was effectively useless) is planted up with sedum. There is no drainage in the pot obviously but the sedum seems quite happy. I will try to get a picture to show you.
Thank you Honesty: I would like to see a photo of your Sedum a lot. Look forward to that.
Old Saturday 11th October 2008, 20:36

Here it is. I took the picture first thing this morning so you can still see the dew on the pot. I don't water it and it doesn't seem to need it. The sedum grows quite happily without any attention.

BTW, this is sedum lydium which has pale pink flowers and is also attractive to butterflies and bees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Teapot.jpg (70.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Honesty; Saturday 11th October 2008 at 20:44.
Old Saturday 11th October 2008, 21:35
Super Moderator

What a lovely healthy plant, Honesty, and the teapot really suits it!

Where flowers bloom so does hope.