Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Fruit Growing

Notices

Kumquat tree

Advertisement

Old Sunday 1st March 2009, 05:15

Kumquat tree

Hi. I recently obtained kumquat seeds from the fruit while at a party, planted 1 and it sprouted 2 months later, i have picture of the newly and was just wondering if there was anything i should know about growing this. I'm not experienced at much when it comes to growing fruit trees, this is my first one i've ever grown from a seed.
Old Sunday 1st March 2009, 08:22

I love growing various plants of all sorts from seed just to see what happens to them, unfortunately I cannot offer any advice on your Kumquat seeds but good luck and keep us all informed.
Old Friday 14th October 2011, 21:27

Hi!

Kumquats are actually very easy to grow. They need to be in a warm and sunny environment, and it should be watered at least once a week. Fertilize it around every 3 months. Good luck!
Old Tuesday 18th December 2012, 05:10
abrahamjohn925

Kumquat trees are some of the easiest fruit trees to grow in garden pots. Kumquat trees are beautiful, with dark, glossy green leaves and bright orange fruit which is both gorgeous and delicious.
Old Sunday 26th May 2013, 05:35

I grew a Cumquat tree grafted on to dwarfing root stock while living in Brisbane's subtropical climate and had spectacular results. After two years in a large container sited of a warm north facing patio and regular watering and liquid feeding it yielded over two hundred egg shaped fruit perhaps just sub-golf ball in size. We ate a lot , skin and all, but also made several jars of Cumquat marmalade which was delicious.
I now live in a temperate climate where a Meyer lemon is thriving as is a second year Bearrs Tahitian lime also grafted on to dwarfing root stock and bearing perhaps a dozen decent sized limes almost ready for picking. I am sure that a cumquat would do just as well if I can find one in a nursery.
The Meyer lemon is perhaps 8 to 10 years old and has been well pruned by the previous owner of the property to keep it within bounds and about six foot high and round. It is just beginning to ripen about 120or more lemons of good size and juice content and I have potted up a couple of seedlings from it with the intention of having a go at budding or grafting the parent tree on to them in the spring.
I wont chance the seedlings as they have emerged with big nasty thorns although the parent is thornless.

Bob