Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Lawns

Notices

Advertisement

Old Wednesday 7th September 2011, 11:28

bad lawn please help

i laid my lawn 3 years ago and its going bad to worse please help
http://photobucket.com/daz1968
Old Wednesday 7th September 2011, 15:24

Welcome to the forum, Jakey. Have you got a dog? If so I'd say the dog has been peeing on it & killed the grass.

PS The way you have posted your link means I can see all your photo's & your profile. Safest way is to use the link in the forum & use thumb nails which click open, from your p.c. rather than Photobucket.
Like this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007-13.jpg (58.6 KB, 0 views)
Someone warm them from below, 'til the rain comes tumbling down.
J.D.

Last edited by Val; Wednesday 7th September 2011 at 15:30.
Old Wednesday 7th September 2011, 16:43

Hi Jakeyseven, as Val says, your pet is causing the brown patches and the small areas of lush growth. A good lawn requires a lot of time and energy and also some spending to keep it looking good. See the two links below; the first is for autumn/winter maintenance and the second concerns spring/summer maintenance. For a good lawn, scarification and aeration are a must during autumn as is regular feeding and appropriate mowing techniques during spring/summer. None of these are helped by drought though and your lawn along with many others, has probably suffered from that this year. It is worth remembering that some of the biggest users of chemicals/fertilisers in horticulture are those looking after grass areas such as golf courses and fine quality lawns.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?PID=308

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=413

Dave
Old Thursday 8th September 2011, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val View Post
Welcome to the forum, Jakey. Have you got a dog? If so I'd say the dog has been peeing on it & killed the grass.

PS The way you have posted your link means I can see all your photo's & your profile. Safest way is to use the link in the forum & use thumb nails which click open, from your p.c. rather than Photobucket.
Like this....
http://s1020.photobucket.com/albums/...8_bucket/lawn/

if look at this album you will see what the lawn looked like first year and what it looks like now , there are a couple of photos that show the lawn not growing at all and you can pull it out with your fingers , also the lawn grows well around the edges. i do have a dog but he wees in the same place near my step , cheers daz
Old Thursday 8th September 2011, 15:20

HHmm - if the grass pulls up easily, then I suspect something is eating the roots of the plant - grubs or something. Can you pull up some healthy sod and see if there are bugs/grubs there, just under the surface?
Old Thursday 8th September 2011, 16:51

I suspect sand worms take up all areas overlap by a good foot and relay [turf or seed, sorry for the bad news I and just about all around have had it.
Old Friday 13th September 2013, 10:34

Hi everyone ....!
Well its not a big deal you can even make it more beautiful as compared to first one . But you should must give proper time to lawn .Clean Grass and always used good grass seed for next time .
Old Tuesday 13th October 2015, 07:13

The right watering, fertilizing, and mowing mean the difference between a lush green carpet and a spotty landscape that's more crabgrass than lawn. Improper watering is the culprit behind many lawn problems, especially in the West where healthy grass depends almost entirely on sprinklers.
Old Friday 16th October 2015, 23:51

Soak some new seed in vodka before spreading it.
That way the grass comes up half cut.
Seriously if you have a dog (especially a *** treat the area with betonite and that will neutralize it.
Hard work is required to have a good lawn, lots of the correct fertilizer and just the correct amount of watering.
Took me a few years to get mine looking good and I am on constant watch for grubs etc.
Old Sunday 18th October 2015, 06:03

My friend is having the most awful trouble with Crane fly larvae which eats the roots, she has tried all sorts but the lawn is still terrible. Someone else has the same trouble but they live overlooking the village, with it being quiet have Jackdaws pulling up the grass and eating the larvae, their lawn looks all tuffty but as they feed the birds on the lawn have decided to leave it.
I'm pretty sure the green staff at the local golf club has the same problem and of course this Autumn the Crane flies are everywhere.