Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Lawns

Notices

Advertisement

Old Saturday 13th September 2008, 22:24

Question Aerating the Lawn

hi there

As the seasons are changing now and the grass will not be growing so much is it alright to tidy up now or when it is colder and the grass has stopped growing for the winter months ahead.

So is this the best time of year to Rake the lawn of all the dead growth. Also another thing is to aerating the lawn in general by spiking the lawn too (however you do that?)

We have a Petrol Mower, and can use the mulching facility or not if we want. If we mulch will that add the the dead growth on the lawns surface. This is turn stopping the new healthy growth now. When should we stop mulching?.

Lots of questions here? Very interested in knowing how to improve the quality of our lawn.

Kathy
x
Old Sunday 14th September 2008, 09:56

An interesting thread, kathy. I would say the most important job at present would be to aerate the lawns after the recent heavy rains.

I have found a good link that gives step by step guides to Autumn lawn care. I hope you find it useful.
http://www.greenfingers.com/articledisplay.asp?id=507
Old Sunday 14th September 2008, 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam_m View Post
An interesting thread, kathy. I would say the most important job at present would be to aerate the lawns after the recent heavy rains.

I have found a good link that gives step by step guides to Autumn lawn care. I hope you find it useful.
http://www.greenfingers.com/articledisplay.asp?id=507
Hi Pam

Thank you for your post.

I was wondering about how the extreme wet weather would affect some people's lawns at the moment.

Thank you for your link and your information. I have chatted to OH. We have decided on ones or two things that would be good and one of them was to take up the cutters when we mow next time.

The other as you have mentioned is to aerate the lawn after the rains. We will try our best to do that if the rains stop - turn the tap off someone!

It looks as if it will be a dryer week this week so that helps (except to people who live on the West Coast of the UK).

Kathy
x
Old Thursday 18th September 2008, 11:44

Hi there

It has been a dryer week this week although it has been dull. Been dryer weather all round, so that is good.

There has been some heavy dew on the grass in the mornings.

Wonder if there is a good time to do what is necessary to the maximum effect.

OH is taking cutters up on the mower so next cutting is not so short.

Kathy
x
Old Wednesday 25th February 2009, 22:42

Should be getting the thatch and any moss out of the lawns now, we did ours last week, makes them look worse than before you did it. However it does let air and light into the grass.
As a bit of a boost, we fed them with a weak nitrogen feed. I guess it is unusual, but we will soon be applying some Blood, fish and bone to the lawns. We don't get weeds in the lawn and very little moss, only in shady parts, mostly because the grass is quite thick, made so because we mow every 2 days, when the grass is growing.
For the rest of the season we apply Miracle grow lawn fertilizer through a hose end feeder every 2 to 3 weeks.

Happy gardening
Malc
Old Wednesday 25th February 2009, 23:13

I have a blade that I attach to the gas hand mower. It has two springs that clip on to the extreme ends and this removes the thatch. Don't last long as they wear down rather quickly.
Can't aerate now as the irrigation lines would be pierced.
Be the end of April before that happens though!!!
Old Thursday 26th February 2009, 14:57

I noticed how our lawn had taken on a different colour only to realise that most of it is now covered in moss. Its only small and am now thinking that a small pond would be a good idea but keeping some grass for the wildlife!!