Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Garden Design

Notices

anyone planning any big changes this autumn?

Advertisement

Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 17:32
annafricangrey

anyone planning any big changes this autumn?

it feels like autumn here, chilly and leaves are blowing about (not an early autumn methinks - more like the big winds we are having)

i will be planning the new flower bed, i did a bit last spring and summer but it really wasnt as i would like it. the agapanthus got hidden in the sweet peas, the calla did well but it was their first year after transplanting them so i hope for better next year

the hollyhock was stunning, taller than the sunfllower and a very pretty dark burgundy colour

i will do a bit of a rethink

so thats my project in the garden for the autumn

ann
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 17:45
Urlybird

I'm planning on moving some rose bushes to create a new entrance into the veg plot, the new sheds position has made it awkward to get barrows and things into the plot, so the old archway will become a seating area, and i'll make a new rustic arch from some Sycamore and Ash prunnings which I have laying about, also i'm going to give the privet a really big prune, to try and get it to fill out in the middle some more, and give me more room to tackle the brambles amongst it,
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 18:01
Hostababy

Have so many plans - the whole garden is going to be re-desiged in the spring, so in the autumn will just be clearing it all out and taking note of plants/shrubs that will be kept and re-positioned.
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 18:48
annafricangrey

thats a good idea hosta

i will take a few pictures so i can sort out where not to dig or plant new

ann
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2008, 21:11
msmum

Well, most of our work will take place during the October half term. With five kids and both of us working full time - not a lot of time to do major things during school time. I really want to define a cottage garden area, want the garden around the pond to be more 'natural' with perennials and spring/summer bulbs - no annuals. Need to move the apricot and the cherry tree.....and need to build the raised planters for the vege garden that I want in there next year. Will it all get done??????? Ask me after half term
Old Thursday 4th September 2008, 10:41

We're having the corner of our house rendered and moving a retaining wall at the same time. The wall will then be rebuilt and we'll be laying a path where it was.

We're also planting some willow trees and sourcing and erecting a polytunnel.

I might find some time to do some of the hard landscaping in the front garden too.

Oh, and we really need to move our fruit bushes to a more accessible location.

The main must do is the willow trees though, we keep saying we'll do it and then miss the boat on them again. They need to be planted in November and the weather is usually so bad that we really don't want to be outside at that time of year.
Old Thursday 4th September 2008, 22:13
annafricangrey

sounds like some big projects planned

the thing i like about gardening is its never 'finished'

they evolve and grow and change as our lives change

my garden now is so different to how it was when i moved in 13 years ago and had mostly lawn

i must also find a better place for my galvanised tubs and baths

they are great planters cos the slugs dont like them

mind you, neither does my husband, esp when i decide they need moving!! lol

good to hear your ideas and plans

ann
Old Friday 5th September 2008, 13:44

not had a chance to think about plans, but perhaps we should rethink the ones we had for this year that didnt happen yet!
Old Friday 5th September 2008, 13:47

Just general tidying up are my plans for this Autumn! The Conifers will have to be clipped which is always a big job to do!
Old Friday 5th September 2008, 19:52
Butterfly

We did quite a major overhaul a couple of years ago when hubby laid me block paving paths and the area under the bench and a patio area with four squares of earth in the middle so I could grow some lavender etc. He was on his hands and knees for days poor thing
As you say it is never ending really and I do need to move plants around. I need to move the taller ones to the back as it is a bit of a jumble in parts.