Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Tools & Equipment

Notices

A Gadget for picking up Slugs

Advertisement

Old Saturday 15th November 2008, 22:28

Smile A Gadget for picking up Slugs

While reading an article in one of my favourite Gardening Publications, i came across an article about a new gadget for picking up slugs and Snails.

It is designed like a Litter Picker for picking up litter of the floor - (like what you see along with roadsweepers as part of their work equipment)

What do you think of this invention. I hate to pick up Slugs and Snails as I feel uncomfortable doing so. Yuk...

Has anyone any novel ways of dealing with removal (ie picking up Slugs and Snails) from an area, if they see them congregate ie veggie patch

Last edited by Peewit; Saturday 15th November 2008 at 23:06.
Old Saturday 15th November 2008, 23:55
Super Moderator

I pick up snails by the shells and put them on the lawn for the thrushes. Slugs I leave alone for the pellets to sort.

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Monday 17th November 2008, 11:43

I chop up slugs with whatever garden tool I have to hand.
Old Monday 17th November 2008, 14:31

I pick up snails with rubber gloved hands. As for slugs, I can't even bear to look at them, they are so replusive but I have to say I don't find them as much of a pest as snails. There was a demonstration on one of our cookery programmes on how to forage for snails in your garden, it was so disgusting to watch but for the more hardy of us, its one way of keeping snails off our precious plants.
Old Monday 17th November 2008, 17:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honesty View Post
I chop up slugs with whatever garden tool I have to hand.
hi Honesty

I cannot do that and the thought makes me squirm yuk!!

Maybe it is a phobia that is the problem with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCicely View Post
I pick up snails with rubber gloved hands. As for slugs, I can't even bear to look at them, they are so replusive but I have to say I don't find them as much of a pest as snails. There was a demonstration on one of our cookery programmes on how to forage for snails in your garden, it was so disgusting to watch but for the more hardy of us, its one way of keeping snails off our precious plants.
hi Cicely

I also was under the impression that Slugs are more destructive than snails. We learn something new yet again!

The blackbirds make short work of the snails in my back garden, and I end up standing on, and crunching the large empty shells.

I think I would feel quite bilious to see snails being caught and cooked - too much information
Still it is a way of disposing of snails unwanted presence in our garden. No slug pies pleeaaaassssaaaa
Old Wednesday 19th November 2008, 13:45

I hear they are a delicacy in some parts of the world!
Old Thursday 20th November 2008, 19:44

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by judimac View Post
I hear they are a delicacy in some parts of the world!
Hi Judi

Are you meaning the famous Snails in Garlic butter. Had that while holidaying in France years ago.

They where quite nice! Reminded me me of Winkles a lttle bit - pick the bits out
Old Saturday 22nd November 2008, 10:41

i pick up the snails by the shell also for the thrushes to eat but as for the slugs i carry a little pot of salt with me and enjoy watching them suffer.I know that sounds mean but its called getting my own back.lol......
Old Saturday 22nd November 2008, 11:34

I still remember going into the back Veg patch in the dark (all those years ago), with torch in hand, and picking slugs of the greens. They where happily devouring them by the dozen at the time.

As we had an organic garden everything had to be done in a natural way. So a midnight hunt for slugs was done on a regular basis. Lots of cheap beer in a plate, and squashing them where the two ways we got rid of the blighters.

So I know what you mean that revenge is sweet, as they are so destructive in their eating habits.