Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Speciality Gardening > Water Gardens

Notices

Advertisement

Old Tuesday 26th February 2008, 20:22
Super Moderator

Ponds

Currently we have two ponds which are linked by a manmade stream. When the pump is working, the top pond feeds a waterfall into the stream which, in turn, has a waterfall into the bottom pond. The bottom pond is brick built and cement lined; the top pond has a liner which OH pierced in the autumn. I have drawn up plans to have the top pond dug out and rebuilt of brick with a cement lining.

Does anyone have any advice about ponds and their liners?
Old Wednesday 27th February 2008, 00:16

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits View Post
Currently we have two ponds which are linked by a manmade stream. When the pump is working, the top pond feeds a waterfall into the stream which, in turn, has a waterfall into the bottom pond. The bottom pond is brick built and cement lined; the top pond has a liner which OH pierced in the autumn. I have drawn up plans to have the top pond dug out and rebuilt of brick with a cement lining.

Does anyone have any advice about ponds and their liners?
Hi Kits

Thought this little website will give you ideas.

http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/flexiliner.asp

I know that a friend of mine has a pond in her garden with fish attached. She is trying to resolve an issue with a leak at the moment (as your other half has found out)
She thinks that the problem had been caused by her energetic dogs. Now it has got to the point, it may mean a complete overhaul of the lining, as the leak has gone on for ages now.

I would imagine the more costly the lining, the more durable the material will be !!

Of course cement lining comes into it too, and I am sure that there will be lots of other suggestions how to reline your pond. There is a small area in the link about that too.

Kathy
x

Last edited by Peewit; Wednesday 27th February 2008 at 11:14.
Old Wednesday 27th February 2008, 01:35

My pond and waterfall give me great pleasure as sitting out on the deck listening to the water coming down the waterfall is very calming.
It however is a labour of love and needs lots of TLC.
Biggest problem is algae but there are chemicals for that.
The pond attracts lots of birds and wildlife including the blue heron who had an easy meal of my fish. Still they were only feeders from the pet store and survived two years. I leave the in overwinter and the pond freezer down to two feet and they hibernate until spring. Biggest problem is leaves in the fall and I have to have a net.
The water lillies come in flower and look perfect.
Have to remove massive amount of frog/toad spawn as it would be over populated.
Can't wait till spring to get back out and see it all flourish.
A great boon for an ex sailor as I never had time to see the fruition when sailing.
Bll
I am down in Florida at the moment but when I get home I will try and post some pics of the pond & waterfall.

Last edited by lakercapt; Thursday 28th February 2008 at 03:16. Reason: add text
Old Wednesday 27th February 2008, 01:37

My pond and waterfall give me great pleasure as sitting out on the deck listening to the water coming down the waterfall is verysoothing
It however is a labour of love and needs lots of TLC.
Biggest problem is algae but there are chemicals for that.
The pond attracts lots of birds and wildlife including the blue heron who had an easy meal of my fish. Still they were only feeders from the pet store and survived two years. I leave them in overwinter and the pond freezes down to two feet and they hibernate until spring. Biggest problem is leaves in the fall and I have to have a net.
The water lillies come in flower and look perfect.
Have to remove massive amount of frog/toad spawn as it would be over populated.
Can't wait till spring to get back out and see it all flourish.
A great boon for an ex sailor as I never had time to see the fruition when sailing.
Bill
Old Wednesday 27th February 2008, 07:13

Can't reallyn help that much... only got a wildlife pond.... and it is wild! It should not be too difficult if you have already installed a simiar pond.
Old Wednesday 27th February 2008, 10:03

Great to hear all about your pond Bill!
And maybe seeing some pics soon?
I have 2 ponds....one full of frogspawn at the moment and it is left entirely to nature.....seems to do ok too! (see pic 1)
Tother is a raised pond made from half a plastic barrel with a brick surround.....we have a few small goldfish in this one!(see pic 2)
You are right they are very theraputic and so nice to sit by on a summers day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frogspawn.JPG (56.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Pond and Lily.jpg (85.7 KB, 13 views)

If you've never been thrilled to the very edges of your soul by a flower in spring bloom, maybe your soul has never been in bloom. ~Audra Foveo
Old Wednesday 27th February 2008, 12:40
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link, Kathy!

Ant - the ponds were here when we bought the house, we have never installed one!

Nice pics, Ruth!

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Wednesday 27th February 2008, 13:22

Both my pond and my small rock garden water feature are still frozen and will probably continue to be for a while. I hope that my fish survived. Somehow the pond pump came unplugged and the pond froze completely so that there has been no way for gases to escape.
As far as algae is concerned, I read that using chemicals generally tends to compound the problem. The chemicals kill the algae, it sinks to the bottom, decays and feeds more algae. Having lots of plant life works better. The rule of thumb is to have 60% of the pond's surface covered with plants. Mind you I never seem to be able to get that much surface cover even though I try. I'm thinking of buying a UV filter for the pond, I'm get tired of green water.
Old Saturday 1st March 2008, 09:29

We had a pond with fish for many years. There were plenty of frogs and a toad but never newts. As we took out the fish last year, so it is now purely a wildlife pond, we're hoping it will also attract newts. Although there are a couple of wild ponds not far away, I've not noticed any newts in them. Has anyone else had them suddenly 'turn up' in their pond?
Old Saturday 1st March 2008, 09:47

I had to endure four frogs "at it" in the pond this morning..Springlike at the moment.It is very small,so cannot offer advice only for wildlife.It was in fact originally a sand-tray ! It has lasted about 16 years.

Mervyn.

Douglas Jarrold.