Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Speciality Gardening > Water Gardens

Notices

Ponds

Advertisement

Old Sunday 9th March 2008, 19:05

we built a raised pond in our garden out of bricks and my boyfriend asphalted it (he is a roofer) to make it waterproof - completely harmless to wildlife and fish. A bit expensive I know but it will last forever!
Old Sunday 9th March 2008, 21:27

I would always go for a good quality pond liner made from Butyl laid on approprite underlay and be more careful when working around the pond using sharp tools. Concrete ponds are a big job and easy to get wrong. If they crack it is difficult, but not impossible, to fix them. They will need painting several times with a waterproofing/sealant to stop minerals leaching out into the pond water causing masses of blanket weed and algae. Whatever you choose, good luck.

Dave
Old Tuesday 11th March 2008, 03:59
brettski

In an effort to pursue a lifelong dream, my wife and I have decided to build our pond with clay. It took a second mortgage and 19 months to fill, but we are very pleased with the results. This pic is from about a month ago when we reached full pool in the midwest U.S. winter. A quick summary of the first visit after fill-up is here: http://www.libertynaturepreserve.com/new-page-2.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-9-08019020021stitchmed.jpg (17.1 KB, 15 views)
Old Tuesday 11th March 2008, 11:25

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski View Post
In an effort to pursue a lifelong dream, my wife and I have decided to build our pond with clay. It took a second mortgage and 19 months to fill, but we are very pleased with the results. This pic is from about a month ago when we reached full pool in the midwest U.S. winter. A quick summary of the first visit after fill-up is here: http://www.libertynaturepreserve.com/new-page-2.htm
Hello Brettski, and welcome on board here

Great to see another familiar face from BF.

Hey, I am amazed at the size of your pond, wow it is a big one. It looks more like a lake to me

How big is it exactly? How long did it take to put together? You are very brave to take on such a big project as you have done so?

Love your website, and all the bird sounds attached, very effective. Do you have any wildlife that has taken residence there? Love to hear about it?

Kathy
x
Old Tuesday 11th March 2008, 11:37
Super Moderator

Hey Brettski! Welcome to the Garden!

My word! That is no pond, that is a lake! Awesome! I found the progress of making it fascinating, and such hard work has been well rewarded! Fantabulous!

I now feel rather silly as my pond is only about 14ft long!

Anyhoo ... our arborealist is coming at the beginning of April to do some work for us and I spoke to him last night to tell him of my plans for replacing the pond (he is also a landscape gardener) and there was a moment's silence on the phone, and then he said, "Ah, great, I shall look forward to discussing it with you properly when I see you next month." in a resigned kind of voice!

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Tuesday 11th March 2008, 12:53

Hi Brettski, that is a super wildlife place you have created. The lake is brilliant, I hope you gets lots of wild things there.

Have you decided how you want the new pond, Kits, or are you going to leave it to your landscape man?
Someone warm them from below, 'til the rain comes tumbling down.
J.D.
Old Tuesday 11th March 2008, 13:35
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val View Post
Have you decided how you want the new pond, Kits, or are you going to leave it to your landscape man?
See my OP!

I want a rectangle, edged with bricks.

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Tuesday 11th March 2008, 14:28

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits View Post
See my OP!

I want a rectangle, edged with bricks.
hi Kits

Love to hear what happens Kits

Lots of piccies from the start to the finish

Kathy
x
Old Tuesday 11th March 2008, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettski View Post
Very Very impressive and I can imagine the work involved doing all that.
The birds in the background??
Are they blue jays or woodpeckers?
Bet the wild life will enjoy it tho no elephants!!
Bill
Old Tuesday 11th March 2008, 18:50
brettski

Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. I realize that I am a bit out of place with our project, but the goals we share are the same.
-
Quote:
The birds in the background??
Are they blue jays or woodpeckers?
Actually, each of the main pages are embedded with some small soundtrack. I forget which is which, but I do remember most are birds and one is crickets. The only page I do remember, tho, is likely the one you ask about, Lakercapt....the "pond is full" page that I linked. That one is embedded with the soundtrack of Pileated Woodpeckers. The author of the soundtrack noted that it was during mating season. We have been blessed with many different woodpeckers at our LNP project, including Pileated's.
-
Quote:
That is no pond, that is a lake!
Where I come from, a lake is defined as 10 + surface acres. We are about 5. Technically, we are a pond.
-
Quote:
I now feel rather silly as my pond is only about 14ft long
Quite the contrary, you have many advantages over us. One of the biggest is the ability to walk to your piece of heaven. We must travel a few hours to get to ours. Another upper hand is that you can compress vast amounts of varying beauty into one splendorous package and create a true focal point. This includes reasonable ease to make changes to meet the need.
-
Quote:
I hope you gets lots of wild things there
Oh, they were already there waiting for us; the regulars such as deer, coyotes, raccoons, etc. The slated improvements should increase the cross section of songbirds and butterflys. The pond has already attracted a turtle population. Our Wildlife page chronicles our discoveries and sightings. In fact, I have used some photos from the BF as representative samples presented to us by Mother Nature. http://www.libertynaturepreserve.com/p16.htm