Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Vegetable Growing

Notices

Winter vegetables in Texas

Advertisement

Old Monday 27th October 2008, 21:24

Winter vegetables in Texas

Hello from South Texas.. I have a question, I know we are in different places but this question "may" be fairly simple for some? (I think) I have a 3 cabbage plants that are doing OK and look very good, photos below...That's if we don't get any early freeze. BUT... (My question is) I have two broccoli plants that are just leaves and nothing else in the center at all, the broccoli plants were planted with small plants bought from our local nursery and I planted them on Sept. 1st. ... we have fairly nice weather here until December. The plants look fine but no broccoli inside at all, no hint of anything even starting to grow inside the plant, it's almost been 60 days since I planted it and nothing at all but leaves. Just nice looking leaves and that's it. Anyone know why no broccoli. Thanks either way......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabbage.jpg (104.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg broc.jpg (105.1 KB, 8 views)
Old Monday 27th October 2008, 22:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Hello from South Texas.. I have a question, I know we are in different places but this question "may" be fairly simple for some? (I think) I have a 3 cabbage plants that are doing OK and look very good, photos below...That's if we don't get any early freeze. BUT... (My question is) I have two broccoli plants that are just leaves and nothing else in the center at all, the broccoli plants were planted with small plants bought from our local nursery and I planted them on Sept. 1st. ... we have fairly nice weather here until December. The plants look fine but no broccoli inside at all, no hint of anything even starting to grow inside the plant, it's almost been 60 days since I planted it and nothing at all but leaves. Just nice looking leaves and that's it. Anyone know why no broccoli. Thanks either way......
Hi Richard

The only thing that goes through my mind just now about your Broccoli is that it is going to seed for some reason. Maybe it is a type of Broccoli that is prone to doing what it is or a bad batch? Have you tried the is particular variety before? (If it is ignore my question)

I am sure there will be many other reasons as to why the crop seems to be not producing as it should do. I would be tempted to go back to the nursey (you bought the seeds) and ask them why the plants have not produced.

From what I understand it is also very important to get the timing right to plant (right time of year). We certainly need to in the UK as the weather is varied, and the cold snap starts earlier. Our climes are very different here.
Old Tuesday 28th October 2008, 00:05

Thanks Kathy, Our hottest months down here are June, July and the hottest month is August so a winter plant is planted in and around Sept. Instead of buying just seeds I thought I'd be a head by a few weeks by buying two small potted plants of broccoli. I have no idea why its just the large leaves and nothing else. Next time I go to the nursery I'll try to get an answer. Thanks again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewit View Post
Hi Richard

The only thing that goes through my mind just now about your Broccoli is that it is going to seed for some reason. Maybe it is a type of Broccoli that is prone to doing what it is or a bad batch? Have you tried the is particular variety before? (If it is ignore my question)

I am sure there will be many other reasons as to why the crop seems to be not producing as it should do. I would be tempted to go back to the nursey (you bought the seeds) and ask them why the plants have not produced.

From what I understand it is also very important to get the timing right to plant (right time of year). We certainly need to in the UK as the weather is varied, and the cold snap starts earlier. Our climes are very different here.
Old Tuesday 28th October 2008, 20:43

I emailed the nursery where I bought the broccoli plants from and received a reply just now. The nursery said this below. Richard in Texas

"Broccoli is slow to develop and likes the cooler temps to produce, it's not uncommon for it to take 90 to 120 days to produce, especially if it's really warm, so it might just need a little more time, don't give up on it yet"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
Old Tuesday 28th October 2008, 20:49

I'm sure your weather is far harsher than ours. Do you have a local tv station that can give you a reliable forecast? Much as we love you babe, your weather conditions must be a whole different ballgame from ours! I would hate to give you any advice and you would lose plants as a result!
Old Tuesday 28th October 2008, 22:26
Super Moderator

Goodness 90-120 days to produce! I had no idea it took so long. Fingers crossed that you get your broccoli eventually!

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Wednesday 29th October 2008, 00:08

I hope the weather holds out without a bad freeze if it takes that long for broccoli, the past two days we got a blast of cold Canadian air that made it all the way down here and I had to cover up the plants. Yesterday morning we had a low of 39 degrees and this morning a low of 42. It's suppose to warm up again tomorrow afternoon. Just the mornings are cold and then warms up in the afternoon to the 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kits View Post
Goodness 90-120 days to produce! I had no idea it took so long. Fingers crossed that you get your broccoli eventually!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winter plants.jpg (102.4 KB, 7 views)
Old Thursday 30th October 2008, 20:37

broccoli

The name broccoli is generally reserved for sprouting varieties which when cut will sprout again. In the uk plants are going to be in the ground for approximately 38-42 weeks. we sow in spring transplant summer harvest following spring. Yours may be all together different to us, keep us updated.
Phil
Old Thursday 30th October 2008, 21:59

I'll let you know what happens Phil, just hope it doesn't freeze in November, if we get a warning of a freeze I'll cover them up and see what happens. I have lived in South Texas for over 30 years and I have seen temperatures in the low 80's at Xmas time. Real winter usually starts here the second week in Jan, we only have a few days of below freezing. Second week in March I start planting tomato's and etc. Thanks for the information...

Quote:
Originally Posted by springs View Post
The name broccoli is generally reserved for sprouting varieties which when cut will sprout again. In the uk plants are going to be in the ground for approximately 38-42 weeks. we sow in spring transplant summer harvest following spring. Yours may be all together different to us, keep us updated.
Phil
Old Saturday 1st November 2008, 18:00

Well here it is Nov. 1st. 60 days since I planted my winter broccoli and I check my plants each morning and this morning for the first time I saw a small broccoli flower inside growing. So maybe I'll get vegetables yet this year. I took a close up of the broccoli below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springs View Post
Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starting-60-days.jpg (59.0 KB, 9 views)