Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Vegetable Growing

Notices

Advertisement

Old Saturday 25th April 2009, 15:10

Thanks John, yes I really enjoy working in the garden, not many weeds at all yesterday so I kept busy doing other things. They say we should get some rain today, right now only a few drops of rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John N View Post
I like the look of that cabbage Richard.Nice to be out in the gardens again.
Old Friday 1st May 2009, 20:39

Thanks for the infor on meat squashes. That looks very yummy and sort of like a hubbard squash. I think I have seen this in the grocery store before, but they called it a "cucurbita" like in the description to which you linked me.
Old Saturday 2nd May 2009, 14:41

I check all my rose bushes and both garden areas everyday for insects, today I came across some APHIDS on the roses. It's been hot and humid the past few days, I checked closer on the tomato plants and sure enough some aphids on the under-side of the leaves. I sprayed everything with Ortho Max insect spray, sprayed the vegetables just to be on the safe side. Bought more Ortho spray in town and ended up buying more bird seed for my wild birds in the backyard, also bought a blueberry bush and two more butterfly bushes and a bovine plant.
Old Saturday 2nd May 2009, 16:46

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard L View Post
I check all my rose bushes and both garden areas everyday for insects, today I came across some APHIDS on the roses. It's been hot and humid the past few days, I checked closer on the tomato plants and sure enough some aphids on the under-side of the leaves. I sprayed everything with Ortho Max insect spray, sprayed the vegetables just to be on the safe side. Bought more Ortho spray in town and ended up buying more bird seed for my wild birds in the backyard, also bought a blueberry bush and two more butterfly bushes and a bovine plant.
Hi Richard

I hope that you get rid of your Aphids, Richard

Nothing worse on your plants and they spread like wildfire too. It i the way they sit on the plants as a cluster. Have you tried the soapy water trick at all, as mentioned with the Greenfly pests on this forum?

Yes, shopping for one thing is never the case and you end up buying 6 other things at the same time. Anything relating to Gardens these days can add up to a lot.

My OH and I go to our locla garden centre and I cannot resist a look in the bird foods area. It is always tempting fate each and every time.

We cannot forget our feathered friends at all.
Old Sunday 3rd May 2009, 14:30

Hi, I did spray for aphids and I checked the next day and everything looked fine, I usually use soapy water but I had so many vegetables and roses to spray I hooked the garden hose up and sprayed with Ortho Max. Now I'll keep up with a few drops of dish soap and plain water in a hand held sprayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewit View Post
Hi Richard

I hope that you get rid of your Aphids, Richard

Nothing worse on your plants and they spread like wildfire too. It i the way they sit on the plants as a cluster. Have you tried the soapy water trick at all, as mentioned with the Greenfly pests on this forum?

Yes, shopping for one thing is never the case and you end up buying 6 other things at the same time. Anything relating to Gardens these days can add up to a lot.

My OH and I go to our locla garden centre and I cannot resist a look in the bird foods area. It is always tempting fate each and every time.

We cannot forget our feathered friends at all.
Old Sunday 3rd May 2009, 14:39

New potatoes

I planted some potatoes a couple of months ago and dug up a few just to see what I had so far, I have more growing, here is what I got from a few plants. I let them air dry and a few days later we had them for dinner. They were delicious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg all-of-them.jpg (99.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg new-potatoes-2009.jpg (62.8 KB, 3 views)
Old Sunday 3rd May 2009, 16:31

It takes some time to get rid of aphids this way, Richard, but if you can buy some lady bugs they will do the job! My mom had aphids on her chrysanthemums and she asked me what to do. When she brushed the leaves back to show me the undersides there were lady bugs everywhere and most of the aphids were already gone. I told her to just leave them alone and let them do their work. It took the lady bugs about 3 days to get the work done. Lady bug larvae (or aphid lions) work even better I am told. They are UGLY critters, but worth their weight in gold!
Old Sunday 3rd May 2009, 17:40

Smile

Quote:
Hi, I did spray for aphids and I checked the next day and everything looked fine, I usually use soapy water but I had so many vegetables and roses to spray I hooked the garden hose up and sprayed with Ortho Max. Now I'll keep up with a few drops of dish soap and plain water in a hand held sprayer.
Hi Richard

Good idea and each time you see any signs of the little blighters you will be armed with your hand held sprayer.

Can I ask what Ortho Max is?

Quote:
I planted some potatoes a couple of months ago and dug up a few just to see what I had so far, I have more growing, here is what I got from a few plants. I let them air dry and a few days later we had them for dinner. They were delicious.
Hi Richard

They are lovely looking potatoes. Nothing llike fresh produce from your garden anyday.

Glad that you enjoyed eating them yummy
Old Sunday 3rd May 2009, 23:14

Ortho Max is a insect spray, you dilute it with water or use a automatic mixer that hooks up to a garden hose, you put Ortho Max in a hand held mixer, set the dial to 1.5 oz. and turn on the garden hose, the mixer ads 1.5 oz. of garden insect solution to the each gallon of water sprayed. It'll kill over 150 different insects and is safe for vegetables. You can use it on just about any bush or any vegetables. I only use it when I'm in trouble with to many insects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peewit View Post
Hi Richard

Good idea and each time you see any signs of the little blighters you will be armed with your hand held sprayer.

Can I ask what Ortho Max is?

Hi Richard

They are lovely looking potatoes. Nothing llike fresh produce from your garden anyday.

Glad that you enjoyed eating them yummy
Old Sunday 3rd May 2009, 23:34

Smile

Quote:
Ortho Max is a insect spray, you dilute it with water or use a automatic mixer that hooks up to a garden hose, you put Ortho Max in a hand held mixer, set the dial to 1.5 oz. and turn on the garden hose, the mixer ads 1.5 oz. of garden insect solution to the each gallon of water sprayed. It'll kill over 150 different insects and is safe for vegetables. You can use it on just about any bush or any vegetables. I only use it when I'm in trouble with to many insects.
Hi Richard

Thank you for your comprehensive answer. It is a good idea to get the quantities of the insect spray and the water together.

I have never heard of the brand and you probabily have different brands in the USA to us in the UK.