Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Plant Identification Forum

Notices

Advertisement

Old Thursday 19th July 2018, 22:09
Super Moderator

You weren't a million miles away with melon/cucumber - they are the same family.

Yes, squashes do need lots and lots of water. We water our squashes and courgettes every night and give them a good dousing with the hose. We feed once a week once the fruits set.

Good luck!

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Thursday 19th July 2018, 22:49

Oh that's brilliant advice, thank you so much!

I haven't grown squash before so my only experience was limited to cucumbers I haven't grown them in many years. I accidentally bought a pack of cuc seeds that weren't all female, got the biggest cuc's ever and gifted them and destroyed people's taste buds haha Need to get back into growing cuc's.

It just reminded me of them a little, that's so interesting they are from the same family. I grew cucumbers once that were from a regular packet and they were covered in big prickles. I always seem to have oddities!

That's so great you grow squashes! It's really opened my eyes, I never thought about it before. I'm enjoying this beautiful plant so much I may keep some seeds to dry for next year too, if the fruit is good and tasty. It's been so easy, and nothing bothers it, no damage from slugs or snails etc

Can I ask, what do you do with your squashes please? I'd love some good recipe ideas as I don't really know what's the best thing to do with them.

(Also, if all goes well and it fruits nicely, I can send you some free seeds if you would like to own a stripy, fuzzy beast too! )
Old Friday 20th July 2018, 09:19
Super Moderator

I would love to own a stripy, fuzzy beast!

I grow butternut squash - I dry the seeds from a bought one, and plant them out in April and they always come true and produce nice squashes. I make soup, soup and more soup! They are also nice roasted as veg with a meal. A friend stuffs hers with either mince or with tomatoes and cheese. They can be used for a vegetarian curry too.

Old Wednesday 1st August 2018, 14:40

Oh wow! I had no idea that was possible, I eat lots of veggies and during the winter my favourite is butternut squash soups!! Those ideas sound amazing! I'm totally going to try that next year, brilliant!

And yes np at all to send seeds so fingers crossed all goes well with the fruiting!

I thought I'd do a little update, there has been a big weather change and it did choose to produce it's first few flowers during that dire weather time! So I missed getting pics, but now the weather is fine again I did a small video update.

It has an interesting shape fruit coming!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cEW3Nw6WpQ

Eta: Sorry about the weird noises in the background at start, it's the sound of the bristly leaves against the camera :3
Old Friday 3rd August 2018, 10:49
Super Moderator

It's doing well! Squashes do tend to spread along like that, but it's got plenty of room. Just keep watering, watering and watering a bit more!