Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Gardening for Wildlife & Conservation

Notices

Gardening for bees

Advertisement

Old Saturday 29th March 2008, 16:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honesty View Post
That is a lovely photograph, Sweetcicerly. I didn't realise Lantanas grew outside of tropical houses or greenhouses. Does it grow in a conservatory perhaps?

Another good flower for bees, but far more humble that the exotic Lantana, is snapdragon.

Lantana can be grown outside in the summer but would have to be brought back into the conservatory or greenhouse for the winter. The one in my pic has survived being left in the shed to over-winter wrapped in bubble wrap.
Old Monday 31st March 2008, 15:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCicely View Post
The one in my pic has survived being left in the shed to over-winter wrapped in bubble wrap.
What a good idea. This is another plant I shall try to get this year and I shall put it in the garage overwinter.

Thanks, SweetCicerly!
Old Thursday 3rd April 2008, 18:49

There has been a gorgeous male flower bee feeding at lungwort over the past week or so.
Old Friday 4th April 2008, 14:52

I'm very pleased to report some very large bees feeding on the nectar and pollen in the garden. I don't know what type they are, but it seems that bee's vary in colour and they seem to favour the flowers which are similar in colour to them which also applies to butterflies. Only an observation since I started to garden for wildlife but makes for very good photos.
Old Friday 30th May 2008, 16:15

If my garden is anything to go by, this year is turning out to be very good for Bees. I have hundreds of them here, both front and back garden plants are being covered in them. I've just got back from the garden centre with some French Marigolds, no sooner had i placed them on the patio table to plant later when they were visited by bees. Passing a block of flats on the way home I noticed a huge amount of bees covering a row of Pyracantha's, so it looks like a good year for bees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3660.jpg (106.2 KB, 7 views)
Old Friday 30th May 2008, 23:11

That's good to hear and that is a smashing photo. I love bees.

I have plenty in my garden too, but I do understand that the overall trend is down.
Old Saturday 31st May 2008, 01:53
Super Moderator

A bee on a hardy geranium in the garden this afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bee.jpg (90.1 KB, 8 views)

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Saturday 31st May 2008, 11:18

Thats a lovely pic of the bee and a very nice flower on the geranium Kits.
Overall insect numbers are down but there are good years and bad years. Last year the visits from bees were not in great numbers but this year, they have returned in huge numbers. Same with the Holly Blue butterfly, it is turning out to be a good year for them with visits in numbers instead of seeing the odd one or two. I have also had reports back that they are visiting gardens that have never had a visit before, with a friend wondering what that small 'moth' was flying around her garden.
Old Sunday 1st June 2008, 23:21

That makes a change, because a lot of people think that day flying moths are butterflies, not the other way around.
Old Saturday 21st June 2008, 00:00

A few years ago, I noticed parts missing from some of the leaves on a vine we have. At first I thought it was caterpillars, but it was leaf cutting bees. It was great to watch them try to fly away with this huge piece of leaf. We haven't seen them since. The bee population is way down here. I haven't seen one honey bee yet...

My wife and I saw a documentary last night on the problem with the bee population. There was an entire region in China, that had absolutely no bees left. The farmers had to pollinate the peach trees themselves. They used the down from birds on a stick, and would dip it in the pollen, and then place it on each and every blossom on the tree. It was amazing.

We're all just food for worms.