Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Gardening for Wildlife & Conservation

Notices

Gardening For Butterflies

Advertisement

Old Wednesday 12th March 2008, 09:31

Gardening For Butterflies

There is nothing more gratifying than gardening for butterflies and the other beneficial insects that happen to be passing by to feed on plants full of nectar.

Anyone interested in this wonderful subject and help to preserve our beautiful butterflies the two links below should get you off to a good start.

http://www.butterfly-conservation.or...gardening.html

http://www.butterflygarden.co.uk/index.html
Old Wednesday 12th March 2008, 12:15
Super Moderator

Fascinating and very useful links, Cicely. Lots of ideas for planting to attract butterflies. Thank you for posting them.

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Wednesday 12th March 2008, 12:54

Very useful links Cicely. But so sad about the lady, Linda, in the second one. It's lovely her OH is keeping the site going though, at her request. Some very beautiful butterfly photo's there too.
Someone warm them from below, 'til the rain comes tumbling down.
J.D.
Old Wednesday 12th March 2008, 13:17

Yes, very sad indeed. I used to post messages on her blog when she was going through the worst of her treatment so it was such a shock when she died. Someone who was so inspirational and devoted so much to the preservation of butterflies was a great loss. Her website was so helpful to me when I started my gardening for butterflies and I will always be thankful for that.
Old Monday 24th March 2008, 23:17

It's grand to see other people who are also passionate about native butterflies.
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 07:29
Urlybird

I've got several buddleas(spelling) in the garden too, White knight is one, the other i'm not sure about, as you guessed it, I found it on a building site, also i've a couple of orangey yellow ones which i'm growing on from cuttings I took last year,
It's lovely to see the butterflies all over them, last year for the first year I spotted a Humming bird Hawkmoth hovering over the one outside the back door,
There's a patch of ground behind my veg plot which I leave for the stinging nettles, and i've even been known to plant Brassicas, but must admit I do get fed up with the cabbage whites, but on the other side of the coin the birds don't mind eating their caterpillars, so what detracts from the caterpillar world benefits the birds,
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 09:50

Hullo Urlybird,

I am intrigued by your reference to orangey-yellow buddleias. Are these the pom-pom type, globosa, or one of the hybrids with the long flower spikes such as sungold or honeycomb? I've been looking to purchase one of the latter but haven't seen them in my local garden centres yet.
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 09:59
Urlybird

Hi Honesty,

they're the yellow pom pom variety, i'd never seen them before but was suitably taken by them, hopefully they'll be big enough by the autumn to plant out for next summer
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 10:02

Ahhh, I don't have one of those either but they are supposed to be very sweet smelling and attractive to butterflies. I think all the buddleias are fast growing so you should have some lovely plants soon.
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 10:05
Urlybird

I personally don't like the scent of any of them, but the butterflies like them and I like to see them in the garden, they're also wonderful for screening our garden from next doors kids prying eyes