Forum Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Gardener's Forums > Gardening for Wildlife & Conservation

Notices

Gardening For Butterflies

Advertisement

Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 13:55

I've got Buddleia 'sungold' and it has been brilliant at attracting butterflies, bees and moths and not only that, it seems to flower all summer long and well into Autumn. I bought three small plants on Ebay as I was unable to find sungold in the garden centres. All the Buddleia's I have here have a beautiful honey fragrance which is very strong on hot day's.
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 15:24

That sound perfect, SweetCicerly. Ebay it is then, thanks!
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 16:09

I bought mine about three year's ago. I just googled the name and happened to find a seller on ebay so I hope you have some luck in finding the Sungold. Sometimes when I can't get a plant at the garden centre I turn to the internet and have never been disappointed. I've just bought a Buddleia 'royal red' from Gardening Express and their service was excellent.
Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 23:20

I've got several Buddleias and the best for butterflies is probably 'Lochinch,' though the all-white one that I have is also very good.

I've got one of the round yellow ones - 'Globosa' - but I can't really recommend it. It seems to flower at the wrong time, after the early spring butterflies but before the main influx in late summer. Also it grows very quickly and doesn't flower on the current year's growth so you have to leave it bigger than you'd like (when you do prune it, though, it makes very good runner bean poles!). I had a hybrid between this variety and one of the 'normal' ones that gave yellow spikes of flowers (can't remember the variety) but it never grew well and finally gave up the ghost.

Several species of butterflies like to feed on rotting vegetation - over-ripe fruit is a favourite. My compost heap is right at the top of the garden and I have a bucket nearer to the house so we can put kitchen scraps in rather than making the journey to the top of the garden in wet weather, etc. inevitably it gets neglected and a bit smelly from time to time One Sunday in September 2006 my wife called me to come and look at a butterfly she'd seen around the bucket as she emptied the potato peelings. She doesn't know as much about butterflies as I do but she knew that the large brownish one with a creamy edge to the wings was something 'unusual!' Twice she came in to get me but it had moved out of sight both times - being alerted to what it might be I told her not to move if she saw it again but just to shout me!

Sure enough it returned to the bucket and on the third occasion I was able to see the stunning almost apparition of a Camberwell Beauty! I'd seen one or two abroad but it's a real rarity here so it was a great privilege to be host to it whilst it fed on my kitchen slops!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camberwell-beauty-sep-3-200.jpg (69.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg camberwell-sep-3-2006-2.jpg (30.9 KB, 10 views)
Old Wednesday 26th March 2008, 08:10

What a fantastic sighting Adey.
Old Wednesday 26th March 2008, 09:07

A rarity indeed but just goes to show if you provide the food look what you get. A fantastic sighting, I am soooo jealous!! A friend of mine grew potatoes in a bucket and was rewarded with a visit from an usual moth, can't remember which one but some moths can be as beautiful as a butterfly.
Beautiful find and a beautiful pic Adey
Old Wednesday 26th March 2008, 09:27

Goodness me, you are indeed fortunate, Adey! I have only ever seen a Camberwell Beauty once, and that was one that someone else had found hibernating in her garden. The deep maroon of the upperside of the wing is beautiful.

It's a shame that your yellow hybrid buddleia didn't do well. I have heard from a couple of gardening friends that theirs were very attractive to butterflies (perhaps it depends on when you prune as to when it flowers?) but they both lost their plants to frost as I don't think these buddleias are as hardy as the normal ones.

Thanks for the pictures. Stunning.
Old Wednesday 26th March 2008, 13:10
Super Moderator

I have never seen one of those before, Adey. Wonderful.

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Wednesday 26th March 2008, 17:31

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val View Post
Very useful links Cicely. But so sad about the lady, Linda, in the second one. It's lovely her OH is keeping the site going though, at her request. Some very beautiful butterfly photo's there too.
Hi Val

I am thinking that too about the lady who died.

Just shows the dedication of some people who show the keenness beyond words, and what they enjoy about life. It is their concerned view about their subject and the genuine interest that they have for all living creatures.

Butterflies are fantastic to share amongst like minded people anyday.

Looking forward to seeing our native Butterflies this year, and ones in Spain too.

Kathy
x

Last edited by Peewit; Wednesday 26th March 2008 at 18:28.
Old Wednesday 26th March 2008, 20:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCicely View Post
A friend of mine grew potatoes in a bucket and was rewarded with a visit from an usual moth, can't remember which one but some moths can be as beautiful as a butterfly.
The very large and spectacular Death's-head Hawk-moth is a possibility as its caterpillars feed on potatoes and related plants.