Gardener's Forums

Go Back   Gardener's Forums > Speciality Gardening > Water Gardens

Notices

Baby Fish!

Advertisement

Old Thursday 24th July 2008, 23:34
msmum

Baby Fish!

I was so pleased this afternoon! OH was calling the little guys out to show them something of interest in the garden......(I was working in the kitchen and could see them all at the pond from the window). I could see the guys looking into the pond - obviously looking for something - and so I had to go out and see what the latest creature was that had been spotted. There in the middle of the pond (one end is only about 2' deep, and the other end about 1' deep) was three baby fish about an inch in length.

It's always exciting to find something new like that They're just goldfish that we have in the pond and had four in total. Had never really expected to find babies in there though!
Old Thursday 24th July 2008, 23:40
Urlybird

Msmum thats really neat, we've got one that was "born" 3 years ago this sumer, he/she didn't colour up until a year old, it was one hell of a job trying to spot him/her before he went gold, good luck with your brood
Old Thursday 24th July 2008, 23:43
msmum

Good to know that the colour will take a while! Yes, they blend in very well with the black liner and the rocks and such on the bottom, but they had gone over to where the waterfalls into the pond and could be spotted there quite well. I will have to read up about 'baby goldfish' just so we know what to expect in terms of growth, colour etc. Thanks for that bit of info Urly!
Old Thursday 24th July 2008, 23:47
Super Moderator

What a lovely surprise, MsMum.

Where flowers bloom so does hope.
Old Friday 25th July 2008, 11:53
brettski

Congrats, msmum! A successful spawn is very rewarding. You're a fish-mum! Time for pink and blue lilly pads!
Old Friday 25th July 2008, 11:57
msmum

Thanks Kits and Brettski! Actually - even more pleased - just had a peek at them, and there was four in a little school together by the waterfall! So there's at least four in there!

Hmmm, pink and blue lily pads eh? Like it!

Our two little 'incubator hatched' ducklings no longer look like ducklings But, we do have a ten day old duckling hatched by the mother(s) (all three sat on the nest). Sad thing is that once that one hatched, they stopped sitting on the other eggs Will be sure to have the incubator to hand again if they sit again in case they do the same thing after one hatches. We were hoping for about ten eggs or so out of the 15 that were being sat on.
Old Friday 25th July 2008, 20:29
Butterfly

How exciting, our fish have never had babies. Perhaps they are all girls?
Old Sunday 27th July 2008, 13:32

our gold fish breed like rabbits! Anyone want some?
Old Sunday 27th July 2008, 15:00
msmum

hehe, to be honest Peony - I've never even thought of the fact that the fish would multiply - was just a pleasant surprise to see them! Hubby found a frog down by the duck pond this morning - the ducks were all standing there on guard - but he hopped away.
Old Sunday 27th July 2008, 15:08
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peony mad View Post
our gold fish breed like rabbits! Anyone want some?
Maybe it is just me, but I now have an image of a creature with a goldfish body and rabbit's head and ears ...

Where flowers bloom so does hope.