the bud is opened!!!!

lets hope for some more

ann
Old Thursday 31st July 2008, 15:11

That's a deal! As a matter of fact, I'm drinking one now - a small DD
Old Thursday 31st July 2008, 15:22
msmum

aaargghhhhhh! Well, I have the frog!

After seeing your pond and hearing about everybody's waterlilies.....as soon as hubby comes home we are off down to the aquatics store to have a look - I feel bad for not having any in there for them and they do look lovely. How many plants did you start with in yours Susan? Do they multiply well (or in fact, at all?) Will have to look into them...
PS: I always got a large DD, hubby a large SS
Old Thursday 31st July 2008, 15:45

The one large plant I have in there now came from my mother's pond, which she filled in this year. It's become too much work for them now. It is one plant, a tuber type root in a very large bucket. My pond is not very big, so this one plant fills the surface quite well. I also have a small dwarf lily sitting on the ledge, which I purchased last year at Canadian Tire. The roots are usually planted to one side of the pot, because throughout the year as the plant grows, the roots travel across the pot, so they need some room.
They need re-potting - cutting off the old section of root and potting a new section to begin again next year. My mom usually takes that to a professional pond person to do for her - I will have to give it a try myself next year!
Good luck with yours - what colour are you going to get? Do you think you'll have room for more than one?
Old Thursday 31st July 2008, 16:43
msmum

Thanks for that Susan! You know I still get the emails from Canadian Tire and from Home Depot - great to see what's popular the other side of the pond!

No idea what colour we will go for - there's a couple of aquatic centres nearby, so will be heading out in a few for a quick gander. Our pond is about ten feet long by about four feet across so hoping I could get at least a couple.
Old Thursday 31st July 2008, 20:44

Sounds great - let us see pictures pls!
Old Thursday 31st July 2008, 23:08
msmum

I'll get some pics tomorrow Susan - maybe I can get some ideas from everybody how to finish it off around the edges - used to be round and had cut paving slabs around it which I never really liked.....but I'll post a pic in a different thread and pick brains for ideas as to how to finish it off now that we enlarged it.

Went to look at water lillies......first aquatic centre had none, second aquatic centre had none. Looked on a well known auction site - loads available for very cheap prices. But....I'd want to pick them up and the closest one was about two hours drive away After the threads and comments on water lillies and seeing how nice they are......I NEED some!
Old Thursday 31st July 2008, 23:33

I have three differant, or at least there are three differant colour of flowers.
Leaves are now covering nearly 80% of pond area (in spite of my daughters dog that decimated many leaves when he was frog hunting, he did not manage to catch any)
This year has been the best show after 5 years.

Last edited by lakercapt; Saturday 2nd August 2008 at 03:44. Reason: spelling
Old Friday 1st August 2008, 14:35

Smile

Great picture Brett.

Fish must be one of the difficult creatures to photo

Kathy
x
Old Friday 1st August 2008, 15:21
annafricangrey

have got the camera off hubby so will try and post a pic of my solitary flower!!

ann